Search This Blog

Saturday, November 30, 2019

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

If asked, once upon a time I probably would have said I wasn't much of a Christmas person. Oh, I like decorating my house for the holidays, and I used to bake a ton of cookies before my hubby developed a wheat allergy (I don't think those two things are related, though). :-o And I liked making a list and shopping for friends and family, and throwing holiday-themed parties, but....

Okay, I guess I like Christmas. ;-) One thing I never really got into, though, was Christmas movies. I'm that weirdo who really can't stand It's a Wonderful Life. And all those Hallmark Channel holiday romances? Fuggedboutit.

Except guess what I've been binge-watching for the past few weeks?

Right. Okay, they're mostly either Netflix originals or Hallmark Channel offerings that Netflix has picked up, since we stream everything and don't have cable, but still. And while I might be justifying watching them by telling myself that it's something to do while I'm doing my half hour of stair-stepping every morning, or it's research for my The Devil You Know series (which tends to skew much more rom-com than most of my books), I understand deep down that I'm watching them because they're a lot of fun. As a writer, I always enjoy looking at what other writers are doing with familiar setups and tropes, and doing their best to make them fun, fresh, and unique. Also, since I write romances, I love to watch all those wonderful happily-ever-afters. They make me feel a bit better about the world -- which, face it, hasn't been a basket of puppies for a lot of people this year.

And when I started thinking about it, I realized that a lot of my books are set at the holidays, even if they're not the direct focus the way Christmas and New Year's are in my latest book, Charmed, I'm Sure. There are holiday scenes in Darkangel and Dragon Rose, in Chosen and Angel Fire and Star Crossed. I have three holiday novellas as well: A Cleopatra Hill Christmas, Illuminated, and A Canyon Road Christmas. So I guess this time of year occupies a lot more space in my mind than I thought.

What about you? Do you have any favorite holiday-themed books or movies? Let me know, because I'm always looking for something new to read...or something new to watch while I'm getting in my steps each morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment