Search This Blog

Sunday, December 8, 2019

End-of-the-Year Musings from Kasey Mackenzie


Ah, December has rolled back around once again. The close of another year. The precipice of beginning a new one. This can be an overwhelming and exhausting time of year for many people, but it can also be a exciting one. Especially for those of us who anticipate cracking open a new planner to start knocking out task list items and reaching our goals like the amazing rock stars we are!

What about you? Do you like to use planners and calendars to organize your chaotic life? I find them invaluable. I have both anxiety and OCD, and possibly ADHD, so regularly using a good planner helps me keep on target and feel a huge sense of accomplishment.

Another thing I did this weekend in anticipation of preparing for the new year was to move my office out of our living room and back into the spare room. Why did I move out to begin with? Allow me a moment of vulnerability. The office that I just returned to was one that I prepared in great excitement after I scored my book deal with Penguin under their Ace Books imprint back in 2008. My husband and I painted the room my two favorite colors and decorated it with trim and all the fixings. I set up my new desk and posed for pictures of my hard-won book contract. I was really on cloud nine then.

Fast forward a few years, with the cancellation of my traditionally published Shades of Fury series and my grief over the loss of five close family members in five years, and that room became more of a painful reminder. So in order to improve my mental health, I moved out into the living room where I could focus on digging myself out of the hole of grief and depression.

But even the deepest of darkness doesn’t last forever. I did the right thing by focusing on my mental health for the next few years. I got myself back into a good headspace, slowly started writing again, and fell in with this awesome collection of writers here in the Urban Fantasy Fiends group. Slowly my confidence returned, and I got my publishing career back on track. Although I do still have a great literary agent and hope to traditionally publish more things in the future, for now I am focused on my indie career.



This brings me full circle back to loving this time of year. I set myself some lofty goals for 2019. I re-released my first indie-published book, Reborn in Fire from my Untamed Elements series, and indie-published two more books in that series. I published the first two books in my Eternal Academy series, and I’m hoping to publish the fourth and final book in that first Untamed Elements quartet this month. When I stop to think about that, I’m so proud of myself. After a few years of publishing nothing, I will have put out six books by the end of this year!

Next year I have even higher goals that I hope to accomplish. Whether I actually attain them all doesn’t even matter. It’s amazing just to be feeling productive and hopeful again. When you’re in a good headspace, it’s better to reach for the stars and fall short then to underestimate yourself and play it too safe. 


And if you’re not in such a great space? It is perfectly okay to take time for yourself. So whichever camp you fall into this December, I wish you nothing but the best. Enjoy the rest of this year and hopefully you will be reaching for the stars with me come January!

No comments:

Post a Comment