Search This Blog

Friday, January 3, 2020

Making Plans, Jotting Notes - Devon Monk

We made it! It’s officially 2020!

I hope you’ve had a good start to the new year! I began mine--just minutes after midnight--sneaking through the neighborhood with a bunch of silly people, a basket of pink yard flamingos, and a heart full of mischief.

You see, one of my family members didn’t make it to the annual family New Year's Eve bash, so we decided to flamingo their yard. Okay, mostly we did it because I had a basket full of unused pink flamingos burning a hole in my basement. I NEEDED to flamingo SOMEONE'S yard!

The Pink Flamingo-ing of 2020 falls smack-dab under one of my new year’s goals: Have More Ridiculous Fun. Good goal, right?

In the spirit of ridiculous fun, I’ve recently knit: Baba from Baba is You (a video game)


and rat hats. Um...because everyone needs a pack of rat hats? 







My other New Year’s goal is: Get More Stuff Done.

More writing, more reading, more family time, more knitting time, more down time (more ridiculous fun time). I’ve had mediocre results finding that work/life balance in years past, so this year I decided to try a new planner.

I like planners but I’m not one of those people who can run multiple planners and binders. I don’t bother to decorate them or delight in fancy dividers and cute clips. I tackle a planner like a hand-me-down pad of scrap paper. I scribble stuff out, change my mind, write grocery lists where daily tasks should be, jot down recipes, and leave behind coffee stains. Eventually, the planner falls to disuse and becomes a reminder of all the things I haven’t done.

Guilt in a three-ring binder.

Now, before you think I’m completely hopeless, I HAVE successfully used this Brilliant Weekly Scheduler for word counts and to-do lists for two years. I love the size and layout (and the grid paper) but needed something more.


https://shop.mochithings.com/products/18219

Enter the Good Busy Planner. It offers up some self-reflection, fits on my tiny desk, and has room for writing, publishing, and random life stuff I think up/need to keep track of on a daily, monthly and quarterly basis.



https://www.amazon.com/Good-Busy-Planner-Jan-Problem-Solve/dp/B07WC375R9
So far, I like it! Let’s see how long it lasts!

Oh, and if one of your new year's goals is: Read More Free Stuff, I got you covered. The completely free (fun and funny!) Ordinary Magic prequel is available for download right...here:


Happy New Year!!!

2 comments:

  1. Where can I buy a Baba? Do you take requests? My son and his friends play the videogame and they were all gobsmacked by your adorable Baba, and now they want one! I said I'd check to see if I could buy one from you or someone, somewhere else! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Baba has stuffed toys available right now. I made this up as I was going and didn't take notes. I don't have any free time for knitting more right now, but maybe a friend or check with the local knitters in your area (or crocheters) who can free-hand a toy?

    ReplyDelete