Search This Blog

Monday, February 3, 2020

Starry-Eyed Dreams

My husband and I started remodeling our basement back in October. “It’ll take a month or two,” we said. “No big deal,” we said. "Certainly it will be done before the new year,” we said.

Nope. Here we are in February and we’re not sure we’ll get it done by the end of the month.

This “no big deal” project turned into multiple trips to the dump, thrift shops, and home improvement stores. We rented a large digging machine (and didn’t destroy it OR us! Yay!), installed new windows, cabinets, walls, ceilings, plumbing, electricity, and insulation. We’ve barely begun painting, and a bathtub is still blocking my dresser. 

We have a long way to go.

Even if it doesn't end up being perfect, it will be a huge accomplishment (and massive improvement) when it’s done. We’ll have created a living space that started out as nothing more than a “what if” and a lot of starry-eyed dreaming. That makes both of us happy.

I think writing can be a lot like remodeling. 

For me, writing starts with a little “what-if” and a lot of starry-eyed dreaming. Then comes the plotting, the outlining, the scene setting, and finally, the actual writing. There’s sweat. And delays. And doubt. And nights of “I give up!” followed by mornings of “I got this!”

It takes time and it takes work (boy, howdy, it takes work) but when it’s done...when a story is finished and wrapped up in a beautiful cover, it is a thing of joy!

My current writing project is the next Ordinary Magic novel. It should be out this spring. I have a long way to go, and a lot of work to do before it’s done. But I’m looking forward to seeing what my starry-eyed dream turns into, and even more excited to share it with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment